Friday, June 13, 2008

Tornado rips through our backyard...

I'm not kidding! Yesterday was a rather pleasent day. Lots of sunshine, no rain, hardly any clouds in the sky and no wind.

I had just taken the kids outside to blow bubbles. We had maybe only been out there all of 3 minutes. Kole and I were sitting under our rot iron awning (sp?). All of a sudden, out of NO WHERE this HUGE gust of wind picked up (only in our backyard) and it lifted up our whole entire awning (this thing is 10x12) blew it up into the air, it flew over the fence and wraped itself around the front of our house! And it was over... just like that. Our tornado lasted all of 6 seconds. Just enough time to completly destroy our backyard and throw our awning 50 feet. It was the weirdest, scariest thing. And to top it off, Kole was sitting right underneith it and when it picked up off the ground, it completly dumped the water that was standing on the awning (from the previous rain the day before) and totally drenched him! To tell you the truth, it was a really scary event that could have ended very badly but thank God didnt. I was really shaken up afterwards. I still cant explain it. That awning has been through every rain & wind storm and has always held up and never showed any signs of flinging itself to its death. And the other totally weird thing is it ONLY hit our backyard. Everything in our front yard was fine, all of our neighbors yards were fine. Totally weird. Check out the damage... it even flung my hanging basket into our tree.




3 comments:

Jodi said...

That basket in the tree is WEIRD! So did it destroy the awning or can it be salvaged? I'm just glad Kole is ok!

Brandon and Lynsay said...

Friend, that is so so scary!! You should probably click your heels and head for Kansas!! I am just shocked by those pictures. Glad baby Kole is okay, what a crazy event!

kate said...

That is crazy! I have to admit that I laughed a tiny bit about the water dumping on Kole (I'm SORRY! Even babies aren't immune from my sick habit of laughing at others' misfortune!). I'm so glad you guys are ok! Scary!!