Wednesday, October 15, 2008

dinner time...

As a child, I always looked forward to eating dinner at my mom's house. Why, you ask? Because we always sat at the table as a family. I'm not sure why but it was always a highlight of my weekends over there. And, to this day as an adult it is somthing from my childhood that I cherish. Recently Allie has developed some poor eating habits. Every night for dinner, Tim & I would sit in the living room in front of the t.v. to eat, Kole would sit next to Tim in the highchair and Allie at the kiddie table in the playroom while watching caroons. For awhile that arrangement worked for us. No, it may not have been the best choice but it worked. I recently decided that it was time for all of us to sit at the table. Last night I went out and picked up 2 plastic place mats & 2 booster seats. Dinner together was a success and it was so nice to sit with my family around the dinner table. We'll definitly be making it a regular thing and someday maybe Allie & Kole will look forward to eating together with their families.
and Kole even offered to do the dishes afterwards...

5 comments:

Brandon and Lynsay said...

Yay so glad that it worked friend!! I agree, it is nice to sit at the table together for dinner!

H said...

Eating together as a family is really important. And every night may not be like the one you described, but coming together (even when you have nothing to say!) helps you all feel connected. There have been studies that prove families who eat together and actually communicate well over dinner have well-behaved kids who do well in school. I heard something about it on NPR a while back. You have a ways to go before you worry about school, but still. It's a good habit to start! :)

Jodi said...

Oh my God that's so cute! Allie eating that corn...

Glad you've started a new routine. And Kole doing the dishes, how sweet is that???

kate said...

Your kids eat corn and peas?? What the...?! You're such a good mommy. Your kiddos are lucky!

Dee said...

Oh good for you ! That is so very important for the family to sit at the table and eat together. It brings the family together at the end of the day, encourages sharing each other's day, teaches manners, and encourages the children to eat, (plus you KNOW what they're eating and what goes into the dog).

I love the pictures , thanks for sharing. Good Mommy !