Thursday, January 5, 2012

A bit late... but that's how I role...

alas....... MY NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS... ehem...

#1}finish certain projects around the house. Such as...
my dresser that I converted into a tv armoir several years ago.  It used to be a natural wood color that went with the rest of our bedroom set. I painted it an espresso color, put new knobs on and took the 2 drawers out and converted them into shelves for our receivers. Now, 3 years later, the shelves still need to be painted and the whole dresser desperatly needs to be sealed. I also need to conceal the cords from the tv on the wall.

This whole mantel needs to be ripped off. Beings that Tim works at lumbar yard, it shouldn't really be too expensive at all. Idealy, I'd love a chunky distressed wood mantel, stained the same espresso color as my tv armoir. I just HATE this cookie cutter oak mantel. Ick!

This project is a little harder to see... but it's there. I LOVED the creamy butter cream yellow we had on our walls in our old home. So, I painted our living room in this house with the same paint. Only... we ran out of paint. So I need to get the tiny bit of paint we have left matched so we can continue on. The wall colors in this whole house is an icky beige color. I would LOVE for the whole house to have my butter cream walls just like my hold home.

oh jeez... and then onto this eye sore of a kitchen. Again... hello 'cookie cutter' oak kitchen cabinets. We re-did the top cabinets last year. It was so much work and such a loooong process. But the bottom ones have GOT to get done. It makes my stomach churn to even think about how long that process will be with all of the drawers, cupboards & trim work. It's more than twice the amount of cabinets as the top ones. But I do LOOOVE the look of the top ones and it was super-duper cheap to do. Anyone want to volunteer??? Come on! Come help a preggo out!

And then this. The bench part of this hall tree needs to be removed all together and re-done. Pretty simple to do... I just need to convince Tim of that.

Other projects around the house... our down stairs bathroom & both kids bedrooms.


#2} Take care of myself. Put myself first more often. This seriously sounds selfish... but it's not... well, it is but in a good way. I really have let myself go since having my 2nd child. I'm no longer a petite size like I was in high school or even when Tim & I got married. And now that baby #4 is on it's way, I know I won't be losing any weight this year. But I can still take care of myself. I ALWAYS am putting my kids first. I feel like my life is KIDS KIDS KIDS... all day & all night. I always feel tired & run down. I don't wear makeup everyday anymore and I sure don't do my hair everyday anymore. My poor husband {not sure how we made baby #4 with me looking this way!}. I vow to change that though. I need more me time!

#3} De-clutter my house. Pretty much every single room in this house has some sort of toy{s} in it. Sometimes having a bigger house is not the best... just means more room to store STUFF. I'm sure The Arch loves us. We have stuff to donate to them every single month when they call. They know they can always count on the Compton family. But apparently, it's not enough. We still have so much stuff. I would just love to SIMPLIFY.

#4} Be a more patient mother. I'm fairly patient. But I'd love to be MORE patient. I wish I was the mom who liked make cookies with my kids... make home made play-doh... do lots of crafts. But I'm not. I like to hurry up and make the cookies real fast... because it's easier. And the thought of a big huge mess from making play-doh or any other big craft with my kids is just dreadful to me. It typically ends up with somthing getting spilled, someone crying or someone getting too frusturated. LOL! And I'm usually the one frusturated... and sometimes crying. :o)

Those are my New Years resolutions. Happy 2012 everyone!!! Here's to a year of lots of changes for the Compton's. A new baby and a new adventure for my hubby!


3 comments:

Jodi said...

Well, you are your mother's daughter. I would love to be more like that hefty grandma that loves to do those things with the grandkids. But, I'm not. When you get ready to finish the cabinets and painting, I'll be there!

kate said...

Oh see, I'd sit and do arts and crafts all day every day, and *never* work on my house! Maybe you and a crafty friend should swap: she can entertain the kids for a few days while you work on your house and then hers.

Glad to see you blogging again!

Dee said...

When in the world would you ever have TIME to do crafts, make play-doh, bake all those cookies with kids helping ! You do so much now, and the daycare------. I admire you as a Mother, wife, daughter etc---so much to so many. But it would be nice to make some time for yourself. Even a nice UNINTERRUPTED relaxing bath would be lovely.