Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Family Closet...

So I mentioned a couple of weeks ago on Facebook about our Family Closet plans. You see, all of our bedrooms are upstairs and our laundry room is downstairs {obviously a women did not come up with this house plan! Just sayin.}. Anywho, we also have this spare bedroom downstairs that just happens to sit right next to this said laundry room... convenient. This room is pretty much just a 'catch all' room for our family. We really didn't use it or need it. Soooo, I came up with this brilliant idea to turn it into a big walk-in closet for the kids. So I did some digging around on the internet for some inspiration. Unfortunately for me, the only family closets that I could find were for huge 'Dugger size' families and they were NOT cute. So I had to come up with my own.

So, here we have the Compton family closet. This is just one side of the room. The other side is identical. Each kid will have their own section. I made the curtains at the bottom to cover up their shoe bins that will go underneath. And each kid has 2 baskets, one for undies & one for socks.

On the opposite wall of the window is a smaller wall that will hold this full length mirror. I will hang this cute yellow floating shelf {it hasn't found a permanent home in my house for like 2 years} underneath the mirror, sort of as a little counter/shelf/getting ready table. I think it will go perfectly there. The round silver mirror, I'm not really sure where it is going but I'm sure it will find a home in here too.

And finally, I picked up 3 of these cute little bow holders for all 3 girls {i still can't believe I'm going to be the mom of 3 girls! 3GIRLS!!!}. They will be hung to the side of the mirror.

I still have quite a bit to do in this room. Some red curtains need to be hung. My 'Laundry' sign will be hung above the window. I'm going to pick up some cube benches from Target to put underneath the window for a place to put shoes on and more storage. We also have a beautiful blue baby changing table that is no longer being used. Tim is going to build a top for it to turn it into a folding table to put in the middle of the room. I'm so excited for this! Also, I found an easy tutorial on Pinterest to create the profile silhouette of each child. I'll frame those up and hang them above each kid's section. Super cute! I'm so excited to get this 'closet' done! You will probably ALWAYS find me in here! I can just picture myself in here, listening to some music, smelling some clean breeze Scentsy, folding some laundry. Eeeeeek!!!! :o)

7 comments:

Nicole Leavitt said...

That is so awesome Jacki!!! Go you!

kate said...

I was totally picturing the Duggars'
"family" closet when you said you were going to do this. But of course yours is going to actually be CUTE!! This is going to make your life so. much. easier. It's genius.

Jodi said...

Love it! Can the kids reach their hangers? I can't wait to see it all done!

Anonymous said...

I saw these fun lights at the home show last weekend that would look so cute in there- I'll give Tim the info tomorrow and you can check them out. You're so crafty, that room will be perfect for the kids (and for you- no more hauling laundry up and down)!

Dee said...

A family closet next to the laundry room will make it sooo much easier for you---and its cute. You are so creative.

Linda said...

That is the cutest thing ever! You can just close the 'herd' in there and tell 'em not to come out until they are dressed! Bwaahahaha!

watermelon seeds said...

Way to go jack!